Our focus on healthy living means we encourage not only healthy activities, but also healthy eating. Here are some of the ways we do this:
- Healthy snacks & nutrition education at our child care and camp sites
- Nutrition plans & healthy recipes through our exclusive MobileFit online wellness portal
- Personal trainers with certifications in diet and nutrition
- Corporate wellness program offering healthy lifestyle coaching, wellness workshops & nutrition challenges
- Regular tips & articles encouraging healthy lifestyles on our Facebook page
- Cafe in our new Downtown YMCA offering healthy dining and snacking choices
In the Spring 2013, the Y surveyed members, participants and the community to see how it's in regards to nutrition. We found out that the community sees the Y as a great place for activity, but healthy eating is not fully addressed. To be a leading community resource for good nutrition, we plan to provide education, access and support for healthy eating through:
- Promotion of 7 Key Healthy Eating Habits
- Kids In the Kitchen cooking classes
- Y Nutrition 101: Avoid fads and focus on the basics for healthy eating
- Dinner in 30: Tips and tricks to save money and get a healthy meal on the table in 30 minutes or less
- Eat Well, Be Well Workshops: A series of classes giving you the tools to make healthy eating a part of your lifestyle
- Aisle-by-Aisle Healthy Eating: A virtual grocery store tour
- Tasty Tuesdays at the Y: Cooking demonstrations and tastings on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month in the lobby of the Downtown YMCA (Start Date/Times TBD)
- Changes in vending and concession stands to support healthy eating, making the healthy choice the easy choice.
- New Healthy Eating Guidelines for Y staff and events to make healthy choices available at all Y sponsored functions.
Watch for more as we work to help create a culture of good nutrition for our community.