The Greater Wichita YMCA is committed to improving community health through education and engagement - including helping kids understand how food choices can impact them today and for life. To improve food choices for kids, we offer child cooking classes - called Jr. Chef Academy - that offers two levels of classes featuring entirely hands-on time in the kitchen where kids learn now to choose ingredients, follow recipes, prepare and cook meals, and take pride in sharing food they prepared with family and friends. All participants get to keep items from the class and eat what they cook in each class and progress reports are provided to parents.
FALL 2019 Jr. Chef Academy classes:
- New sessions starting in September and October and November 2019
- Are held various days and times, based on class and location (use tiles below for details)
COSTS AND AVAILABILITY
- Classes are open to children, ages 6-12, including Greater Wichita YMCA members and non-members (community participants)
- MEMBER RATE - $99/child/session (pay in-full at registration or $33/month on AutoDraft)
- NON-MEMBER RATE - $159/child/session for non-members (pay in-full at registration or $53/month on AutoDraft)
- As with all Greater Wichita YMCA programs and activities - financial assistance is available to those who qualify
Fall 2019 classes (LEVELS 1 and 2) are offered at these locations:
- EAST YMCA (Wichita)
- Dr. Jim Farha ANDOVER YMCA (Andover)
- Robert D. Love DOWNTOWN YMCA (Wichita)
- NEWTON YMCA (Newton)
- NORTHWEST YMCA (Wichita)
SPECIAL THANKS to Delta Dental of Kansas and American AgCredit for their generous support of Jr. Chef Academy - allowing us to offer 2019 courses at a reduced rate.
REGISTER FOR JR. CHEF ACADEMY
Have questions about our programs or want to register a child, ages 6-12, for one of our Jr. Chef Academy courses?
Contact Tammi Krier our Healthy Eating Director in our Community Development Branch by EMAIL or PHONE (316.776.8176).
ANOTHER REASON Y
The Greater Wichita YMCA offers child cooking classes and hundreds of other options for pursuit of a healthy spirit, mind, and body including: