ABOUT CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTERS
Child Development Centers (CDCs) foster a warm “extended” family atmosphere in which children feel secure, comfortable and important. A partnership with Wichita Public Schools (USD259), CDC sties are owned and operated by the Greater Wichita YMCA.
Children (from six-weeks-old through the start of Kindergarten) are engaged in a mixture of education and recreational activities that holistically approach education, build confidence, and ensure future success. The Greater Wichita YMCA's Child Care and Camp branch, which runs CDC sites believes:
- Parents are the first and most important teachers in a child’s life.
- Families benefit when parents and adults pursue work and personal responsibilities – which requires a safe, pleasant, and dependable place to entrust children.
- Development is patterned, but each child is unique – growing at their own pace and style.
- Children are innately curious. They constantly gather knowledge of the world through education and other experiences including play.
- Trust, respect, and emotional awareness of self, others, and nature are crucial elements for positive self-growth and productive in our increasingly complex society.
Our CDC programs provide affordable, high quality, child care service, designed to meet the needs of parents who are working and/or in school and our facilities and staff are fully licensed by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE).
WHY CHOOSE A CDC FOR YOUR CHILD?
Full-day child care services—for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers—Monday - Friday from 7AM-5PM when Wichita Public Schools / USD 259 are in-session and, based on need, during in-service and non-teaching duty days. CDCs offer:
- Full- and part-time child care services, based on enrollment, at select Wichita Public High Schools
- Nutritious breakfast, lunch, and snacks – provided through USD 259’s Child and Adult Food Care Program – daily
- Kansas Early Learning Standards-aligned curriculum and assessments
- Financial support including income-based financial assistance for those who qualify and scholarships (through generous YMCA donors), and United Way for eligible families. DCF funding accepted.
WHAT YOUR CHILD WILL GAIN THROUGH CDC PARTICIPATION
Our CDC sites are entirely staffed by licensed, trained, child care professionals that are dedicated to developing school-ready and life-ready children. When you choose a CDC for your child you can expect:
- Opportunities to sing, read, and talk in a language-rich environment
- Skill development in phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, print awareness, vocabulary and comprehension
- Critical, creative, child-sized problem solving through cause and effect
- Skill development in classification, patterns, one-to-one correspondence, order and sequence, and numeration
- Fine- and gross-motor skill development
- Balance, coordination, and control
SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Building trust and forming healthy attachments
- Developing impulse control and enhanced social interactions
APPROACHES TO LEARNING
- Demonstrating curiosity, persistence, attention and communication
2019-2020 CDC SITES AND CONTACT INFORMATION
EAST HIGH SCHOOL
- 2301 E. Douglas Ave., Wichita, KS 67211
- PHONE - 316.976.7122
HEIGHTS HIGH SCHOOL
- 5301 N. Hillside St., Wichita, KS 67219
- PHONE - 316.973.1425
NORTH HIGH SCHOOL
- 1437 Rochester, Wichita, KS 67203
- PHONE - 316.973.6337
NORTHWEST HIGH SCHOOL
- 1220 N. Tyler Rd., Wichita, KS 67212
- PHONE - 316.973.6037
SOUTH HIGH SCHOOL
- 701 W. 33rd Street S., Wichita, KS 67217
- PHONE - 316.973.5494
SOUTHEAST HIGH SCHOOL
- 2641 S. 107th Street E., Wichita, KS 67201
- PHONE - 316.973.2757
WEST HIGH SCHOOL
- 820 S. Osage, Wichita, KS 67213
- PHONE - 316.973.3635
CDC ENROLLMENT PROCESS
2019-2020 CDC Enrollment is available during pre-enrollment (for currently participating students) starting April 15, 2019. General enrollment opens on Monday, July 8, 2019 and continues throughout the school year.
- Review the CDC Program Overview brochure and Policies and Parent Information materials - available below, at any CDC site, or upon request from our administrative office.
- Complete a CDC Enrollment Form including KDHE paperwork (included in the enrollment kit below) and sign the policies and parental information agreement.
- Schedule an appointment and/or submit your materials IN PERSON at a CDC site or MAIL materials (as instructed in Overview Brochure) to our administrative offices.
- Do NOT try to enroll in CDC programs on our website or at any Greater Wichita YMCA branch location. You must apply as stated above.
- Allow for up-to five business days for response from CDC leadership. You will be invited to finalize enrollment and pricing and establish payment methods.
- CDC staff MUST confirm enrollment before children can enter the program, without exception.
- Enrollment is based on available space, child developmental readiness, licensing guidelines, and prioritization (as outlined above).
- Children with special needs will be accepted only if enrollment is in the best interest of the child.
- Costs for participation are based on classroom assignment. FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE is available and third-party payment is accepted. See policies document for full overview of cost/billing/payment requirements.
- ALL required paperwork (enrollment form, KDHE paperwork and support documents, and signed policies/parental information agreement) must be submitted BEFORE any child will be considered for enrollment.
- CHILD CARE ACCOUNTS - EMAIL or PHONE (316.776.8842)
- Lisa Whalen (Program Director) - EMAIL or PHONE (316.776.8256)
- Debbie Ogle (Senior Program Director) - EMAIL or PHONE (316.776.8242)
- Andrea Eliot (Branch Director) - EMAIL or PHONE (316.776.8241)
ADDITIONAL CHILD CARE PROGRAMS
In addition to CDCs inside Wichita Public Schools high schools - we offer additional Child Care options for infants-through-fifth graders including:
ANOTHER REASON Y
The Greater Wichita YMCA offers a host of Child Care options and hundreds of other support tools for the pursuit of a healthy spirit, mind, and body including: