Cancer is a disease that attacks the body but also impacts the mind and spirit of those diagnosed, undergoing treatment, or trying to resume normal activities and life after cancer. For many the fatigue, general attack on the body, and depleted strength can make even basic activities difficult.
The Greater Wichita YMCA–committed to the health and well being of our entire community–is a proud participant in the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program. FREE for all participants - we use qualified and Y-certified instructors to offer medically cleared participants:
- Twelve-week programs with two, 90-minute sessions per week at most branch locations, three times a year
- Life and fitness evaluation before, during, and after program participation for all participants to ensure readiness
- A curriculum of cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- An approach to recovery that ensures the whole person (spirit, mind, and body) can thrive
- Improved muscle mass, strength, flexibility, endurance, self-esteem, and confidence and reduced stress
- Support from staff, volunteers, and other program participants who are also living with cancer
Everyone and every body deals with cancer differently. The lifestyles and experiences, physical and emotional impacts, and goals and ambitions after treatment vary. We understand and will work with all program participants to provide individual attention and care, instruction and support. Recovery is not a competition - it is a process. Our program allows you to do your best and take your time.
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE - NATALIE'S STORY
2019 PROGRAM DATES
FIRST SESSIONS (January 1 - April 4, 2019):
- ANDOVER YMCA (TRICIA) - January 3, 2019 - April 4, 2019, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6-7:30PM
- ROBERT D. LOVE DOWNTOWN YMCA - Not Available
- EAST YMCA - Not Available
- EL DORADO YMCA - Not Available
- NEWTON YMCA - January 2, 2019 - April 3, 2019, Mondays and Wednesdays, 6-7;30PM
- DENNIS SCHOENEBECK NORTH YMCA (RACHAEL) - January 3, 2019 - April 4, 2019, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10:30AM-12PM
- NORTHWEST YMCA (REBECCA) - January 3, 2019 - April 4, 2019, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10:30AM-12PM
- RICHARD A. DEVORE SOUTH YMCA (JOYCE) - January 3, 2019 - April 4, 2019, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:30-7PM
- WEST YMCA (JOYCE) - January 2, 2019 - April 3, 2019, Mondays and Wednesdays, 5-6:30PM
SECOND SESSIONS (May 1 - August 2, 2019):
- ANDOVER YMCA (FRANCES) - May 1, 2019 - July 31, 2019, Mondays and Wednesdays, 5:30-7PM
- ROBERT D. LOVE DOWNTOWN YMCA (STEPHANIE) - May 1, 2019 - July 31, 2019, 10:30AM-12PM
- EAST YMCA (FRANCES) - May 2, 2019 - August 1, 2019, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12-1:30PM
- EL DORADO YMCA - Not Available
- NEWTON YMCA - Not Available
- DENNIS SCHOENEBECK NORTH YMCA - Not Available
- NORTHWEST YMCA (REBECCA) - May 2, 2019 - August 1, 2019, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6-7:30PM
- RICHARD A. DEVORE SOUTH YMCA (MELISSA) - May 1, 2019 - August 2, 2019, Wednesdays and Fridays, 10-11:30AM
- WEST YMCA (JOYCE) - May 1, 2019 - July 31, 2019, Mondays and Wednesdays, 5-6:30PM
THIRD SESSIONS (September 4 - December 6):
- ANDOVER YMCA - Not Available
- ROBERT D. LOVE DOWNTOWN YMCA - Monday and Wednesday, 10:00-11:30 am
- EAST YMCA - Tuesday and Thursday, 10:00-11:30 am
- EL DORADO YMCA - Wednesday and Friday, 11:00-12:30 pm
- NEWTON YMCA - Monday 6:00-7:30 and Wednesday 6:30-8:00 pm
- DENNIS SCHOENEBECK NORTH YMCA - Tuesday and Thursday 10:00-11:30 am
- NORTHWEST YMCA - Tuesday and Thursday, 9:00-10:30 am
- RICHARD A. DEVORE SOUTH YMCA - Not Available
- WEST YMCA - Monday and Wednesday, 5:00-6:30 pm
MONTHLY ALUMNI GROUP MEETINGS:
- ANDOVER YMCA - N/A
- ROBERT D. LOVE DOWNTOWN YMCA - Final Monday at 3PM
- EAST YMCA - Second Monday at 12PM
- EL DORADO YMCA - N/A
- NEWTON YMCA - N/A
- DENNIS SCHOENEBECK NORTH YMCA - First Tuesday at 9:30AM
- NORTHWEST YMCA - Second Thursday at 9:30AM
- RICHARD A. DEVORE SOUTH YMCA - N/A
- WEST YMCA - First Thursday at 6PM
ABOUT THE PROGRAM and PARTNERSHIP
The Greater Wichita YMCA's LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is part of a national partnership between YMCA of the USA and the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The FREE program assists those (age 18+) in our community living with of after cancer in strengthening spirit, mind and body. The initiative specifically aims to combat cancer-related fatigue and to improve the fitness and general quality of life for participants. To date - more than 62,000 survivors in 700+ communities nationally have participated in the national program.
READY TO GET STARTED?
You can email our program coordinator or download our program overview and we'll start the process of enrollment.
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA FAQ
We know you may have questions about our program and how it was developed and how it works for participants. Below are our most common inquiries:
- How Much Does it Cost to Participate?
Our LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is absolutely FREE for all participants - if they are Greater Wichita YMCA members or not.
- How Do I Enroll in the Program?
Our LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program requires referral from a medical professional or medical clearance from a doctor to participate. For more information or enrollment support, contact Debbie Cruz - our intake/enrollment coordinator - by EMAIL or phone - 316.776.8178.
- How Can I Recommend Someone for Participation?
If you know someone - a friend, family member, colleague, patient, etc. - who is living with cancer who may be a good candidate for our program, contact Debbie Cruz - our intake/enrollment coordinator - by EMAIL or phone - 316.776.8178.
- Do You Have to be a Greater Wichita YMCA Member to Participate?
No. The LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program is part of the Greater Wichita YMCA's Community Development initiative - that helps ensure we live our mission - and is free to all participants, regardless of membership. We do require all participants to properly register as guests for each session and they must comply with our guest and other rules and policies but they need not formally join or pay for a guest pass to participate. If non-members would like to join, they can work with program staff, front desk staff, or start the process online. Income-based financial assistance is available to all who qualify.
- Can I Continue in the Program After My First 12-Week Session?
No. The LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA program is specifically designed for single participation. We do offer MONTHLY ALUMNI GROUP meetings at several branches (with more locations coming as our program continues to grow) and many program participants will use general membership and other services we offer including Personal Training and Nutrition Coaching to keep the YMCA part of their life after cancer.
- Why is Medical Clearance Required for Participation?
We understand that, for many, the desire to maintain or quickly return to previous day-to-day and life experiences is an important part of managing their cancer diagnosis, treatment, and recovery however we also know that the body, mind, and spirit handle cancer and its impacts differently from person to person. We require a doctor or medical professional to refer or clear all for participation accordingly.
- Is the Program Staff Qualified to Teach and Support Survivors? How?
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA staff have been specially trained to work with cancer survivors and patients and follow American College of Sports Medicine and American Cancer Society exercise guidelines. They're exercise experts who can understand your unique physical needs and concerns and help you address them safely. They're also relationship builders with the empathy and ability to connect with and develop relationships with and among cancer survivors and their families.
- Can I Start Mid-Session or Do I Have to Wait for Another 12-Week Program to Begin?
Enrollment in our program is managed to ensure appropriately-sized groups at each of our branches. We cannot, accordingly, allow enrollment once a session has begun. We can work with those who are ready for and wanting support before our next session begins but formal enrollment is required for participation in group activities and sessions.