ABOUT OUR MIDDLE SCHOOL AFTER-SCHOOL (MSAS) PROGRAM
MSAS provides a safe, supervised environment where students can receive academic support, explore and develop new skills and interests, enjoy a nutritious snack, participate in structured, physical activities, and have fun with peers and positive role models. Students have FREE daily access to two hours of programming that follows best practices for the age group.
Now in its 22nd year - MSAS is a model program partnership between the Community Development branch of the Greater Wichita YMCA (funds and operates the program) and Wichita Public Schools / USD 259 (provides school sites and educators for staffing).
PROGRAM GOALS AND IMPACTS
During the 2018-2019 academic year, 4,166 sixth, seventh, and eighth graders in 15 middle schools participated in the Greater Wichita YMCA’s MSAS program. Wichita State University’s Public Policy and Management Center (PPMC) performed an independent evaluation* of the impact of MSAS participation (versus non-participation) for the academic years between Fall 2015 and Spring 2018 and found benefits - empirical and perceived.
- 40% of students, on average, attending MSAS schools participated in the program
- Absenteeism was 40% lower among participating students
- Disciplinary incidents were 54% less-likely to involve participating students
- Participants were 78% more-likely to share feeling “encouraged to learn new skills”
- 84% of participants believed MSAS leaders “cared about their academic progress”
- 86% of participants and 92% of their parents described the program as “safe”
- According to 74% of participants and 85% of their parents - MSAS improved grades**
- Students (63%) and parents (84%) said MSAS participation increased physical activity
2019-2020 PROGRAM SITES
MSAS is offered in the Fall Semester from Monday, September 16 through Thursday, December 5, 2019 and the Spring Semester from Tuesday, January 21 through Friday, May 8, 2020 at the following sites:
WICHITA PUBLIC SCHOOLS (USD 259)
- Brooks Middle School
- Christa McAuliffe Academy (CMA)
- Coleman Middle School
- Gordon Parks Academy
- Hadley Middle School
- Hamilton Middle School
- Horace Mann Magnet
- Jardine Magnet Middle Academy
- Robinson Middle School
- Truesdell Middle School
OTHER SCHOOLS / DISTRICTS
- St. Patrick Catholic School Middle School
To participate, all students must submit a registration and waiver form (available below in several languages) completed by a parent or guardian. Questions? Contact Senior Program Director Tyrone Baker by phone at 316.776.8172 or by EMAIL.