The Greater Wichita YMCA has been a part of this community for over 135 years. As we navigate through these unprecedented times, our commitment to the safety and well-being of our community is stronger than ever. We have planned a phased re-opening plan that prioritizes public health.
Our 10 AREA BRANCHES currently offer:
- HOURS 6AM-8PM Monday-Friday. 8AM-6PM Saturday and Sunday
- OFFERINGS Cardio Equipment, Weights, Personal Training, Small Group Training, Select Group Exercise Classes (Outdoors and On Courts)
- ACCESS FOR Greater Wichita YMCA Members Ages 13-and-older (guardian required for 13-15-year-olds)
- ENROLLMENT ELCs, Summer Camp, and Summer Youth Sports
Our pools, locker rooms, racquetball courts, Kid Zones, and social spaces remain closed until further notice.
We are also currently offering:
- CHILD CARE At all three of our Early Learning Centers
- SUMMER CAMP Our licensed programs start Monday, 6/1. Enroll today.
- SUMMER SPORTS Youth and adult sports start Monday, 6/15. Enroll by Monday, 6/1 and save.
FACILITIES STATUS AS OF THURSDAY, 5/28
The following areas and offerings are available. Tap on BLUE items for more information.
See "Additional Information and Support" (below) for a list of not-yet-available offerings.
|WEIGHTS||SELECTORIZE / CABLE EQUIPMENT||CARDIO EQUIPMENT|
|CABLE EQUIPMENT||INDOOR TRACKS||PERSONAL / SMALL GROUP TRAINING|
|SELECT GROUP EXERCISE (Outside)||SELECT GROUP EXERCISE (On Courts)||SUMMER CAMP|
|CHILD CARE (ELCs)||SUMMER SPORTS (Youth and Adult)||VIRTUAL YMCA ONLINE OFFERINGS|
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING OUR PHASED RE-OPENING
We've temporarily modified our spaces, offerings, and policies to comply with relevant guidelines including:
We've made the following changes:
- Delayed opening of some areas
- Removed hard-to-clean items
- Restricted facility access
We'll enforce social distancing guidance:
- Marked floors in the lobby
- Spaced out equipment
- Limited group activities
We're enhancing cleanliness standards:
- Mandating masks for all staff
- Cleaning before/after each use
- Adding time for daily, deep cleaning
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND SUPPORT
We will continue to email members and participants, update this page's content and information, and share news on social media every Monday (or as information changes) throughout our re-opening. Those needing additional information are encouraged to email our membership support team anytime or talk with our membership staff (available in-person or by phone), contact a Branch Director (use our CONTACT US form), or email our membership support team. We've also prepared the following information for your reference.
FACILITIES AND OFFERINGS
- WHAT IS OPEN?
The current status of all of our facilities are as follows:
- BRANCHES All ten locations re-opened on Monday, 5/18.
- EARLY LEARNING CENTERS Our East and South ELCS opened on Monday, 5/18. Our Andover ELC opened on Tuesday, 5/26. ENROLL TODAY.
- CAMP HYDE AND SUMMER CAMP SITES All sites open Monday, 6/01. ENROLL TODAY.
- YMCA FARHA SPORT CENTERS Will open with the start of our SUMMER SPORTS SEASON on Monday, 6/15. ENROLL TODAY.
Programs, activities, and offerings will re-open in due time as we work through our re-opening plan. Some offerings may vary at some locations. Look for updates each Monday or as appropriate.
- WHAT ARE THE BRANCH HOURS OF OPERATION?
Our current branch hours are as follows:
- 6AM-8PM Monday-Friday
- 8AM-6PM Saturday and Sunday
We will comply with occupancy limits and access to buildings/areas may be restricted during peak usage.
- WHO CAN USE BRANCH FACILITIES?
Access will be extended to:
- Greater Wichita YMCA Members Ages 13-and-older (guardian required for 13-15-year-olds)
- Greater Wichita YMCA Y Members (0-12-years-old) are not, yet, allowed access
- NO Guest Passes will be offered until further notice
- Nationwide YMCA Members and Cooperative Agency Participant access remains on hold
- WHAT BRANCH AMENITIES/PROGRAMS/ACTIVITIES ARE AVAILABLE?
We are offering:
- Cardio Equipment
- Weights and Weight Equipment
- Indoor Tracks
- Personal Training / Small Group Training
- Group Training
- Limited Group Exercise Classes (Outside and On Courts)
- Summer Camp
- Summer Sports
- VIRTUAL Workouts and Exercise Programs
- WHAT BRANCH AMENITIES/PROGRAMS/ACTIVITIES ARE NOT AVAILABLE?
We will not, until further notice, offer:
- Locker Rooms
- Pools, Whirlpools, and Steam Rooms
- Lobbies/Social Spaces and Coffee Service
- Kid Zone, Mom’s Day Out, Parent’s Night Out, and Fun Fit
- Group Exercise Classes (Aquatics Formats)
- Gyms/Courts (Basketball, Pickleball, Volleyball)
- Climbing Walls
- Racquetball Courts
- Youth and Family Programs
- WHY AREN’T YOU OPENING LOCKER ROOMS?
We are complying with Governor Kelly’s revised Ad Astra timing. The current “Phase 1.5” (set to expire on Sunday, 6/7) mandates distancing and other considerations not conducive to our locker rooms. We all need to do our part to slow the spread of illness to continue the re-opening of our state – and Y facilities.
- WHY AREN’T YOU OPENING POOLS?
We are complying with Governor Kelly’s revised Ad Astra timing. The current “Phase 1.5” (set to expire on Sunday, 6/7) prohibits "most" (including our) swimming pools. We all need to do our part to slow the spread of illness to continue the re-opening of our state – and Y facilities.
- WHY AREN’T YOU OPENING THE KID ZONE?
Our Kid Zones remain closed due to the nature of kids at play. Distancing is difficult and keeping toys and the abundance of touch points and surfaces in those areas clean is challenging even without these heightened concerns. We will resume these offerings as soon as appropriate. Thank you for your patience and partnership in protecting public health in the meantime.
SPORTS, YOUTH, AND FITNESS PROGRAMS
- WHAT IS THE STATUS OF SUMMER SPORTS?
We have opened enrollment for SUMMER SPORTS (Adult and Youth).
- Details on programs, costs, etc. are available now. Enroll by Monday, 6/1 for maximum savings.
- ONLINE enrollment is encouraged but support is available by phone and at all branch locations.
- Registration closes Monday, 6/15 when practices begin. Our seasons start Monday, 6/22 and end Friday, 7/31.
- Advanced/competitive sports will have post-season tournaments the first week of August.
- MY CHILD WOULD LIKE TO PLAY A SPORT THIS SUMMER BUT WE CAN'T AFFORD IT - ARE THERE OPTIONS?
The Greater Wichita YMCA is fortunate enough to receive contributions to our Strong Community Fund. The annual campaign allows us to offer Youth Sports, Child Care, Camp, and memberships at LOWER to NO cost to families and kids that qualify. Let's talk about ways to ensure access for your children. Start with an application for our income-based financial assistance.
- WHEN WILL THE YMCA FARHA SPORT CENTERS RE-OPEN?
We will start camp at our YMCA Farha Sport Center ANDOVER in early-June and open our courts and turf for our sports leagues in mid-June.
CHILD CARE and CAMP PROGRAMS
- WHAT IS THE STATUS OF CHILD CARE PROGRAMS?
We have resumed our in-branch Early Learning Center (ELC) child care programs.
- ONLINE and on-site (Andover, East, and South branches only) enrollment is now open.
- All three of our ELCs (Andover, East, and South) are open now.
- Modified parent policies and procedures and revised health and safety measures in place.
Our Child Development Centers (CDCs), KEY Academy (K-5 before- and after-school offerings), and Middle School After School programs will open, as appropriate, with the start of the 2020-2021 school year (details to come).
Information on our Kid Zone offerings can be found, above, under program and activity status.
- WHAT IS THE STATUS OF SUMMER CAMP?
While we modified some of our offerings - SUMMER CAMP enrollment is available now.
- ONLINE enrollment is available. You can also modify and cancel registration through our site.
- Our Camp Accounts Support form, phone, and email support is available, too. NO in-person support is available.
- Our camp season begins Monday, 6/1 and runs through Thursday, 8/6. Remember - registration closes the week before each week starts.
- Parents/Guardians must REVIEW, SIGN, AND RETURN our COVID-19 paperwork prior to the start of camp.
- Virtual parent information sessions and more resources are available on our website, too.
- MY CHILD COULD BENEFIT FROM CHILD CARE AND/OR CAMP BUT I'M WORRIED ABOUT THE COSTS - WHAT CAN I DO?
We are incredibly grateful for the support from the community shown through contributions to our Strong Community Fund - which, in turn, allows us to offer Summer Camp, Child Care, and other Youth Programs (Sports, etc.) at REDUCED and NO cost to those who qualify. We also work with third-party organizations, like DCF, to help with funding for those who need more help. Please let us know if we can help your family at this time. Start with an application for our income-based financial assistance.
MEMBERSHIP OPTIONS and SUPPORT
- WHEN WILL YOU RESUME CHARGING MEMBERSHIP FEES?
Our membership fees will resume Monday, 6/15. We last “drafted” (charged) membership fees in March. See below for more fee-related information.
- WHAT IS THE STATUS OF MY PRE-PAID MEMBERSHIP?
All pre-paid memberships will be credited TWO MONTHS of access time to to offset our facility closure (Monday 5/16 - Sunday, 5/17).
- HOW WILL RE-OPENING IMPACT CORPORATE AGREEMENT MEMBERSHIPS?
Please contact your benefits administrator to discuss how our resumption of services impacts your fees and/or participation requirements.
- I HAVE LOST MY JOB OR INCOME DUE TO COVID-19 RESPONSE – WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
If COVID-19 has impacted your family finances – please speak with our Membership Staff. Our Strong Community Campaign, funded by the generosity of others, allows us to offer income-based rates and other programs that reduce or eliminate the costs of membership, child care, sports, and programs for kids and families in need.
- MY FAMILY SITUATION HAS CHANGED – WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT MY Y MEMBERSHIP?
If COVID-19 has impacted your family in ways that impact your membership or comfort visiting the Y – please speak with our Membership Staff. Thanks to the generosity of those who contribute to our Strong Community Fund - we are able to offer income-based rates that reduce or eliminate the cost of membership for those in need.
- I AM STILL NOT COMFORTABLE / ABLE TO RETURN TO THE Y. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
Members who contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by any Welcome Desk at a branch location) before 10PM CT on Thursday, 6/11 that they are not ready or able (for any reason) to return to the Y when when we resume fees on Monday, 6/15 will be given the option to leave their membership "on hold". Members will have no access to our facilities nor access to member discounts while their membership remains on hold.
When a member IS ready and able to resume usage of the Y, they will need to speak with the Membership Staff at any of our branches upon their first visit back to complete the appropriate paperwork. The member will then, before admission, be charged the prorated amount of their monthly membership fee. Standard monthly fees will resume at our next "draft" (collection of fees).
- HOW DO I RECEIVE A CREDIT FOR PRIOR FEES?
CREDITS were automatically applied for March membership fees, youth programs, spring youth and adult sports, and personal and small group training programs. As a reminder, all memberships remain on hold. We won’t charge your account again without notifying you.
HELP US DO MORE FOR OUR COMMUNITY
- HOW CAN I HELP THE Y MEET COMMUNITY NEEDS FOLLOWING COVID-19?
For those able to contribute to our efforts to meet increased needs for social and physical activities, community support, income-based financial assistance for those who lost income or their jobs due to the public health crisis, and more – we welcome online donations. Find details here.
- I KNOW SOMEONE WHO MAY NEED Y RESOURCES - HOW CAN I CONNECT THEM TO YOU?
Please contact any Branch if you know someone who may need some support during these uncertain times. They can discuss our community programs and offerings including income-based financial assistance and how we work with other community organizations to meet the needs of our neighbors.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES DURING OUR RE-OPENING
- WHY ARE YOU RE-OPENING IN PHASES?
Our first priority is protecting public health for the entire community. We will continue to follow Governor Kelly’s “Ad Astra” reopening guidelines for the state of Kansas relating to our operations and services and/or modify our plan if directed by the Sedgwick County Health Commission, KDHE, CDC, and other relevant government entities.
- HAVE YOUR CLEANING / SANITIZING PRACTICES CHANGED?
Yes. We are:
- Reducing initial operation hours to provide more time to maintain cleanliness/sanitation
- Adding additional steps and processes to our daily deep cleaning/sanitation
- WILL MEMBERS BE IMPACTED BY EFFORTS TO ENSURE HEALTH AND SAFETY?
Yes. Some of the many changes members may notice include:
- Marked “entry” and “exit” lobby doors to simply flow and reduce touches
- Removed check-in keypads (members can “scan in” with our app or provide their number to staff)
- Restricted access to some areas of the building
- Propped-open hallway/interior doors to limit touches
- Disabled drinking fountains (water bottle-filling stations will remain operational)
- WILL MEMBERS BE EXPECTED TO DO ANYTHING DIFFERENTLY?
Yes. We will require members to do the following:
- Provide their own towels, water bottles, and yoga mats until further notice
- Avoid clustering – even momentarily – with other members and/or staff
- Spray/clean all equipment before and after usage
- HOW WILL YOU ESTABLISH AND MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING?
- We have closed social spaces including coffee stations until further notice
- We have marked the floors at the membership desk and other potential clustering spots
- We will not offer programs and activities that don’t allow for appropriate spacing
- Exercise equipment has been removed/respaced on the fitness floor to comply with distancing guidelines
- Members will not be allowed to cluster – even momentarily – while in the facility
- Staff will maintain distance, including limited personal training and not offering “spotting”
- We will limit access to areas that don’t allow social distancing during peak usage
- WILL THERE BE WELLNESS SCREENINGS BEFORE ENTERING THE BUILDING?
- We encourage anyone not feeling well to stay home to protect public health
- Employee temperatures will be taken upon arrival. Those with fevers or, otherwise, unwell will not work.
- ARE FACE MASKS / COVERINGS and/or GLOVES MANDATORY?
- Employees are required to wear masks and gloves
- Members are encouraged to wear their own face masks and gloves
- WHAT IF I AM NOT, YET, COMFORTABLE COMING TO THE Y? CAN I LEAVE MY MEMBERSHIP "ON HOLD"?
If COVID-19 has impacted your comfort coming back to the Y – please speak with our Membership Staff (by phone or in-person starting Monday, 5/18). We have some options and would encourage you to use our Virtual YMCA offerings, too.
PRIORITIZING HEALTH IN THESE UNCERTAIN TIMES
Let’s work together to keep our community safe. Follow these tips when resuming daily activities:
- Stay home when you or your child are sick
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth, and ears
- Consider wearing a mask and/or gloves in public spaces
- Cover your cough/sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Eliminating the potential spread of illness is impossible - please consider your risk
MAKING HEALTHY CONNECTIONS
The Greater Wichita YMCA brings our community together to share time including: