To ensure every young athlete and spectator - as well as our officials and volunteer coaches - have a positive, enjoyable experience playing at the Y, we set clear FAN EXPECTATIONS for all in attendance:
- CHEER for every athlete. Every player needs encouragement while learning to play, be a teammate, and win/lose gracefully.
- RESPECT officials and calls. Game and event staff are well intended and execute our rules and policies to their best ability.
- THANK volunteer coaches. Our recreation league coaches give their time and talents and deserve your support at all times.
- MODEL good sportsmanship. Kids will value playing experience and lessons learned when it adults don't emphasize the rest.
- REMEMBER it’s just a game. Young players can develop skills, teamwork, and character when those are the key outcomes.
Our Greater Wichita YMCA sports staff will be on-site during all sporting events to ensure our sports are played the right way and are available to any spectator or athlete who has any concerns.
In addition to our FAN EXPECTATIONS, the Greater Wichita YMCA works closely with our coaches, officials, event staff, and partner organizations to ensure that our core values are used as a foundation for our youth sports.
When kids play on Y teams or participate in Y clinics and events - it is our goal to have all games officiated and played the RIGHT WAY with a focus on:
- CARING Demonstrating friendship, empathy, and true concern for teammates and opponents, coaches, officials, and spectators.
- HONESTY Playing by the rules and within the spirit of the game including self-reporting of infractions, violations, and errant calls.
- RESPECT Showing the proper deference to the game, teammates and opponents, coaches, officials, adults, and the facilities.
- RESPONSIBILITY Reliability as an athlete, coach, or spectator starts with honoring commitments and owning words and actions.
We encourage you to share any thoughts or concerns you may have regarding the execution of these commitments. You can speak with any coach, official, or Y staff member.
MAKING HEALTHY CONNECTIONS
The Greater Wichita YMCA plays sports the right way and offers other ways to enjoy time, together, pursuing healthy spirit, mind, and body including: