Work Skills Today for a Better Tomorrow
The Greater Wichita YMCA's FREE JOB PREP PROGRAM, funded by the Strong Communities Campaign, gets teens (ages 15-17) ready for work with training, development, and certifications in the classroom and time and experience in the workplace. Participants in the program will learn to:
- Find and review job postings, and prepare and submit an application
- Get ready for and participate in an interview
- Dress for success and work well with others in any situation
- Manage their money and prepare for the future - at work and in life
- First Aid and CPR skills
At the completion of each program, teens who have passed through each stage will, in front of family and friends, be given a certificate of completion at a graduation ceremony. Many teens can and will retain their jobs or be offered similar positions.
The following MUST be provided during an in-person enrollment meeting before Monday, January 25, 2021. All items must be verified by Y staff prior to acceptance in the Job Prep Program:
- Completed application.
- Provide (3) completed references when submitting the application.
- Photocopy of BOTH: participant’s drivers license, school ID or Kansas ID, AND social security card or birth certificate.
Contact Tyrone Baker at 316.776.8172 for your enrollment meeting time.
Sponsor a Job Prep Student
For some teens, a job can mean food on the family table, the possibility of college or a chance to make positive choices. The Y’s free job training program for ages 15-17 teaches teens the skills to secure and maintain a job. The experience inspires students to set and reach goals that have a life-long impact. Sponsor a student for the year for $2,500.