Life Skills Through Lifeguarding
Lifeguards learn not only valuable skills such as CPR and in-water rescue, but they also develop leadership qualities, communication and team building skills and improved self-confidence. The Greater Wichita YMCA has year-round openings for lifeguards at all of our outdoor water parks, indoor swimming pools, and camp sites. If that sounds like a challenge you would enjoy, sign up for training classes today.
The YMCA of the USA is a nationally recognized leader in water enjoyment. To achieve Y certification, lifeguards must both demonstrate an understanding and embrace the responsibility and critical nature of this imperative job.
The Greater Wichita YMCA is a local leader in lifeguard training - certifying hundreds of lifeguards annually. While YMCA/ASHI certification is portable to other aquatic centers, YMCA employee candidates are given preference for enrollment in our lifeguard certification courses. Join our team today!
Please review all requirements and expectations, costs, and considerations for our lifeguard certification program then request pre-approval. To do so:
- APPLY ONLINE for a lifeguard position
- Speak with the AQUATICS DIRECTOR or BRANCH DIRECTOR at any Greater Wichita YMCA branch location for pre-approval
- Contact LORI SPENCER our Director of Training and Compliance by EMAIL or call 316.776.8821
The following are the current, scheduled certification classes and are subject to change.
ADIDITIONAL DATES: Must attend ALL
|6/23/22-6/30/22||YMCA Lifeguard Certification||Downtown Y||June 23: 9 AM-1 PM
June 27: 8 AM-4 PM
June 28: 8 AM-4 PM
June 29: 8 AM-4 PM
June 30: 8 AM-4 PM
Don't see an upcoming certification class that fits your schedule? We recommend you still apply for a lifeguard position and go through the pre-approval process.
To enroll and participate in Greater Wichita YMCA Lifeguard Certification training you must:
- Be 16-years-of-age (or older) by course completion (parent/guardian consent required for 16- and 17-year-old course participants)
- Receive pre-approval to enroll from an Aquatics Director and be available for all class dates.
- Pay the entire enrollment fee (see pricing clarification below)
- Provide a valid, photo I.D. (with full name and date-of-birth) at the first session
- Be ready to meet physical competency requirements
- TREAD WATER for 2 minutes
- SWIM 100 YARDS Front Crawl as well as 50 YARDS (EACH) Front Crawl with Head Up, Sidestroke, Breaststroke, Breaststroke with Head Up, Elementary Backstroke Kick, Hands on Chest
- SURFACE DIVE Feet-first to 8-10' depth, swim 15 ft. underwater
- DIVE, SWIM, RETRIEVE, RECESS 60 ft. sprint, arm-over-arm surface dive, retrieve object from pool bottom (8'+ down), surface, tread water (legs only) for 1 min., return item, resurface, swim to pool's far edge, side exit pool, perform chest compression on adult mannequin
To receive YMCA Lifeguard Certification (consistent with American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) qualifications) you must:
- Successfully complete in-pool Physical Competency Requirements (first class, arrive swim-ready)
- Participate in all 38 course hours (28-30 hours in-person (always arrive swim-ready) and 8-10 hours eLearning)
- Pass all practical skills checks, swim tests, and other course competency checks without aid
- Complete Basic Life Saving (BLS) including AED, First Aid, and Oxygen Administration certifications
- Score 80%+ on the final written exam
- PRE-APPROVAL Due to limited course spots pre-approval is required
- COST $175 for YMCA Lifeguard Employee Candidates, $250 for Community Guards (those who plan to lifeguard at a location other than the Greater Wichita YMCA)
- ENROLLMENT FEE Registration cannot be completed without full payment
- Once approved, payment can be made in person or over the phone by calling any Greater Wichita YMCA location
*Certification Courses are open to all lifeguards but preference for enrollment is given to our YMCA Lifeguard Employee Candidates. Want to work with us? See below.
Y Lifeguard Needs
- We need lifeguards year-round at branch locations with aquatic centers
- Seasonal, summer needs grow to include our indoor and outdoor pools
- No prior experience is required for pre-hire and certification, advanced career roles available
- Work at our branches in Andover, El Dorado, Newton and Wichita or Camp Hyde in Viola, Kansas
A Culture of Safety
The Greater Wichita YMCA is the largest operator of commercial swimming pools in Southcentral Kansas. We offer 20+ total pools - including family, lap / lane, and outdoor water parks - in Andover, El Dorado, Newton and throughout Wichita. We serve more than 250,000 swimmers annually with open swim times, swim lessons, water group exercise, swim team, and water education courses. Each lifeguard professional is called to serve our community by ensuring a safe, welcoming aquatics environment.
Y Lifeguard Benefits
Ready to come work with us? Search open and upcoming/seasonal lifeguard position.