The YMCA of the USA is a nationally-recognized leader in providing high school and college students and others wanting to pursue work as a lifeguard their first job. The responsibility is very real - our lifeguards are actually protecting and saving lives daily. The Greater Wichita YMCA hires hundreds of lifeguards each year - all-year long, but especially in the winter/spring/summer as our outdoor water park season approaches.
Our life guards work our family pools and outdoor water parks, supervise lap / lane pools, and, with additional certifications, teach swimming lessons, support our SPLASH Program, and support other aquatic programs we provide to 300,000+ people annually including up to 20,000/day - association-wide - in the summer.
To ensure we're building skills and leaders, we do require all lifeguards to earn or carry credentials and certifications - YMCA lifeguard certifications are portable/honored at other pools - and other skills. We provide job opportunities and the training and certifications needed.
YMCA LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
To participate in Greater Wichita YMCA Lifeguard Certification training you must:
- Be 16+ on/before the date of your first class
- Provide a valid, photo I.D. (with full name and date-of-birth)
To pass/receive YMCA Lifeguard Certification you must come to all classes (including first session) prepared to swim and:
- Complete the in-pool Physical Competency Requirements (first class)
- Attend and participate in all 37 hours of certification classes
- Complete and pass the final / written exam
UPCOMING LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION COURSES
Fall, and Winter 2019/2020 certification classes and timing TBD. Contact LORI SPENCER for details and options.
ENROLLMENT AND COSTS
Lifeguard Certification courses are open to all would-be lifeguards wanting to be certified or re-certified however Greater Wichita YMCA lifeguards (pre-hired/intended or needing re-certification) receive registration preference for all sessions. The cost for certification courses varies and is 100% reimbursable after 350 hours of lifeguard time at a Greater Wichita YMCA location
- Standard enrollment for general guards is $250
- Intended (pre-hired) Greater Wichita YMCA lifeguards pay $175
To start enrollment simply:
- Contact LORI SPENCER (EMAIL or 316.776.8821)
- Speak with the AQUATICS STAFF or BRANCH DIRECTOR at any Greater Wichita YMCA branch location
READY TO START?
You can also use the tiles below to find life guard openings and to find more information about our certification program.