The Greater Wichita YMCA offers our members a free app (for iOS / Apple and Android devices) that puts the entire Y at your fingertips. Users can:
- Quickly scan/check-in at our locations AND to at most locations with nationwide membership
- Review full schedules for group exercise classes, courts and pools
- Log and track workouts manually or automatically with synced fitness devices/apps
- Find challenges, competitions, and other ways to earn points and rewards
- Share your workouts and achievements in the app or to linked social media accounts
- Inquire about personal training and other YMCA services
- Much, much, more
The app is easy to download, simple to use, and absolutely free to download and use.
EXPLORING THE GREATER WICHITA YMCA APP
Use the drop-downs below to explore the various tiles/tabs/menus/options within the app to customize your experience. Need help? Tap the "SUPPORT & FIXIT" tile in the app to get answers or direct links to support or use our CONTACT US form for additional help options.
- SET YOUR PROFILE, PRIVACY SETTINGS, AND BARCODE
Once you have the app installed on your device - we suggest doing the following things first:
SET YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND ACCOUNT SETTINGS
- Open the app and tap the profile icon on the upper left to expand the menu.
- Choose a photo for yourself (you can take one or upload a file from your device).
- Set up your profile to include any optional information you want to store. Add your name, your gender, date of birth, and bio. Input your height and weight (which can be used for some workout assessments and challenges). You can also add your preferred email for app communications and a password for your app account (this is not the same as your password for your online account on our website).
- Set your favorite/preferred "home" gym (much of the app's content will customize to that location - which you can change at any time by returning to this menu).
- Add your eGym account (if you want to access/use advanced workout features).
- Review any/all notifications within the app.
- You can also find a TOUR of the app in the "about" menu under settings (in the upper right).
SET YOUR SCANNER CODE
- Open the app and tap the barcode icon on the upper right.
- Create your custom "barcode" by entering your punch code for facility access (the SEVEN DIGIT (no area code) phone number tied to your account and your user ID number (0-9) with no punctuation or special characters).
- Do NOT include any punctuation or special characters.
- Your barcode allows you scan access to all of our facilities (including seasonal water parks). Take a screen grab and save the file to your Google Pay or Apple Wallet for immediate access at the Welcome Desk.
- EXPLORE SCHEDULES
The top two tiles in the app are schedules. Use the FIND A CLASS tile to explore our group exercise classes and GYM & POOL SCHEDULES for open courts, open climb, and open swim times.
FIND A CLASS
- Tap the "FIND A CLASS" tile. You can use the filters to set location, activity type, and instructors as well as to look at dates and day of week.
- Your list of applicable classes (based on filters) will refresh/display.
OPEN COURTS AND SWIM
- Tap the GYM & POOL SCHEDULES tile.
- Choose a location from the menu.
- Put two fingers on your device screen and spread them while dragging to zoom in.
- Use the CATEGORY option to clarify lap pool, open swim, open gym (courts), or open wall climb.
- Use the CLASS NAME option to see number of lanes open and other distinctions to open times.
- Once you set your preferences the app will refresh/display relevant times for your preferences.
- REFER A FRIEND
Know someone you think would appreciate a Greater Wichita YMCA membership? Let us know. You provide some contact information and we'll reach out. If they join - you and they will be eligible for our FRIEND-TO-FRIEND promotion where you both save. Click HERE for details.
The more you use our app, the more you can be rewarded. We'll give you points for setting up your profile, for logging and sharing workouts, setting and reaching goals, and for participating in various challenges and content promotions. You can find your points and ways to redeem them for discounts and other perks through our partner network in the "Claim Your Reward" section of the tile.
- WORKOUTS - IMPROVED CONTENT
We've greatly updated our WORKOUTS section of the app to allow you more power and options to not only track your workouts using your smart devices and manual entry but we've pre-set popular workout options and added dozens of workout options (with more being added all the time) that are customized to your location (see the PROFILE section (above) to learn how to change your gym location)) and the equipment and facilities inside that location.
- Use the "Take xCapture" tile to snap a photo of the readout on our equipment at the end of your workout. Our app will "read" the photo and log your results.
- Tap the quick tabs for common workouts.
- Use the "Create New" tab to build a custom workout and to log your actions.
- Use "Track Workout" to ensure you log all of your activities.
The HISTORY tab will show you workouts from October 1, 2019 onward. Workouts before that date that were not logged through third-party / partner apps and devices may be lost. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- CHALLENGES - IMPROVED CONTENT
We have heard your feedback on our challenges and are changing how we build the challenges and allow you to log participation. Starting in November, 2019 we'll have more challenges that are better-targeted to the types of workouts and fitness pursuits of our members and that allow you to better-compete against those with similar fitness interests and those who use your same location(s). We're also offering more incentives to participate including shorter challenges and better rewards.
Want to see the current list of active and coming soon challenges? Scroll through the menu and find one that is right for you. The Terms and Conditions of eligibility and participation and the rewards/prizes for winners will vary so please read carefully and ask your Welcome Desk staff for more details.
- OFFERS - COMING SOON
The OFFERS tab is where we will (starting soon) share exclusive partner and third-party offers for our members and app users. Check back soon for active content and more information.
- CONNECTED APPS - IMPROVED CONTENT
The most common complaint we hear is that our app isn't "friendly" with other apps or smart devices. We're working to fix that. In October, 2019 we rolled out a new version of the app exclusively for Apple Watch users that made content more accessible and intuitive on those devices and we'll be looking for more ways to customize the app in coming versions. In the meantime, we do offer integration with a number of popular/leading fitness tracking apps including:
To have our app "talk" to your other apps and devices - just explore this tab, click on the "Connect" button for each platform, and sync your accounts. Need help? You can use the SUPPORT & FIXIT tab in the app for 24/7 support or ask our staff during your next visit.
- TRAINING - NEW OPTIONS
While we want our app to be a partner in your pursuit of healthy spirit, mind, and body - our staff is absolutely available, too. If you want to better-understand how to plan workouts, or customize a fitness plan to help you reach your goals (or even want to set better, more realistic goals), let us know. You can ask about assessments or initiate personal training sessions right through the app. Just provide a little information, click submit - and we'll be in touch.
- GOAL CENTER
Set, track, monitor, and name your own fitness goals right in our app. Select the number/frequency of workouts, the calories burned, and/or the time and distance you want to go. The app will let you store and update those goals and that information can help you stay on track and be used for some of our challenges.
- ACTIVITY FEED - IMPROVED
Want to use the app to connect with fellow Y participants? The activity feed is for you. Based on your privacy settings (see above) you can have your goals, accomplishments, workouts and other app-based content fed out and you can encourage/applaud, and comment on those doing the same. You can see a "Community" feed or "My Feed" that is just your activities and the interactions with your updates to the feed.
- EXTRAS - NEW CONTENT MONTHLY
The EXTRAS tab is where we put general and informational YMCA content that you may find useful. While the content changes with the seasons and our calendar - you can tap here to see our Water Park status (in the summer), our Open Status (in inclement weather) and to schedule a racquetball court. You can also find links to our website, partner sites, our Playerspace page (for sports participants), and how to install, use (set your own playlist or add to and provide feedback on in-facility music) Rockbot.
- SOCIAL MEDIA
All of our branches have their own Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts. You can find those accounts and follow/like/engage with us through the app (if you log into each social platform on your phone). Remember - you can change your preferred branch in your PROFILE (see above) if you want to also see different social media accounts within the app.
- SUPPORT AND FIXIT
This is the customer support area of the app and we have provided options that we hope will simplify the experience. Have a suggestion for the app and future content/functionality? Submit it with the SUGGESTION option and it will go to our internal App team for their consideration. If there are questions or feedback from that team - they will contact you using the information in your profile (so consider adding a phone number or email address in the "Your Feedback" section if you don't have that stored in your PROFILE (see above). Want to talk about your current or potential membership? Use the MEMBERSHIP interface and our staff will be in touch. The APP ISSUE/QUESTION item is your best option for getting help using the app. Give us some context of what is going on/what you're trying to do and our team will be in touch to help resolve your experience and/or to fix the larger challenges that might be in the way. Finally - FIX IT is another way to tell the staff at our branches how we can better serve you including logging cleanliness issues, equipment status concerns, or overall questions or concerns about your experience in our facilities.
GREATER WICHITA YMCA APP FAQ
While we hope our app is easy, intuitive, and helpful - we know you might have questions. Use these answers to common questions or Contact Us for help.
- HOW MUCH DOES THE APP COST?
Our app is FREE to download, install, and use (data fees may apply if you're not on our free wi-fi inside our locations). You will need to be a MEMBER (or purchase a GUEST PASS) of/for the Greater Wichita YMCA to access and use our facilities - but neither is required for the app.
- WHERE CAN I FIND THE APP?
Our app is available to iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple Watch, etc.) users in the Apple Store by clicking HERE.
It is also available to Android (Google Pixel, LG, Samsung, etc.) users in the Google Play Store by clicking HERE.
- HOW DO I SET UP MY ACCOUNT / PROFILE IN THE APP? (WATCH A VIDEO)
We put together this video to help you set up your account on the app.
- HOW DO I SET-UP AND USE THE BARCODE FOR CHECK-IN? (WATCH A VIDEO)
The barcode feature in our app allows you to scan in to any of our branch locations and any other YMCA that participates in Nationwide Membership and has an app on the same, Netpulse, platform we used to develop our app. This video will explain.
- HOW DO I USE THE SCHEDULE TILES IN THE APP? (WATCH A VIDEO)
The first tile on our app, the "Find a Class" tile will show you a full scheduled of upcoming group exercise classes (today - or you can set a custom date in the future) and allow you to add those classes to your calendar. You can find location (branch), studio, teacher, class descriptions, and more. There is also a second tile for GYM AND POOL SCHEDULES that gives you the open swim / open court / open climbing wall schedules for our locations. This video shows you how to use the tool.
- HOW DO I REGISTER FOR GROUP EXERCISE?
You do not need to register for a Group Exercise class. Just come and have fun.
- DOES THE APP ALLOW ME TO JOIN / REGISTER / UPDATE MY MEMBERSHIP?
The current (October 2019) app does not allow you to JOIN, MODIFY, or CANCEL your membership (visit the Welcome Desk at any location for that) but you CAN inquire about personal training, refer a friend, reserve a racquetball court (in the "Extras" tab), and perform some other, basic tasks through the app.
- HOW DOES "REFER A FRIEND" WORK? WHAT IS THE DEAL?
Your friends do NOT have to be members to join you for a class but will have to qualify for and purchase a guest pass to use our facilities. We would, of course, hope they'll have a great time and want to join you. Your communication with your friends through the app can be captured for future membership and marketing promotions or timely reminders and incentives. Our staff will likely reach out and offer them a tour or ask if they want to join. Where applicable - your referral can qualify you for the FRIEND-TO-FRIEND discount. See the full terms and conditions of the app for more.
- HOW DO I EARN POINTS AND/OR REDEEM THEM IN THE OFFERS TAB?
You earn points by making the app part of your Greater Wichita YMCA visit and experience. You can find a list of how to earn - and the value of each accomplishment - points on the "Points" tab inside the "Rewards" tab on the app. You can redeem points directly through the app. Click on the "Catalogue" tab and select your reward and the app will walk you through it from there.
- HOW DO I LOG / RECORD MY WORKOUTS?
The app allows you two options for recording your workouts. You can manually enter your workout - which is required for workouts that don't include machinery - or you can use the XCapture function where a photo of the display at the end of your workout and a few other taps of the thumb will help the app automatically log your workout and results. Either way - those workouts show up in the "Workouts" tab as a history of your physical activity within thirty minutes of entry.
- HOW DO I KNOW WHO WON AN APP CHALLENGE / CONTEST / PROMOTION?
You can find any current and near-future contests in the app in the "Challenges" tile. Those competitions change in criteria, prize, etc. but the rules and conditions and ways to qualify/participate are also defined. The Greater Wichita YMCA marketing team directly notifies winners within three business days of a contest ending and we will, with permission, post their names on social media. You can request a list of previous winners by contacting the marketing team at 316.219.9622.
- WHAT PLATFORMS / APPS / DEVICES WORK WITH YOUR APP? HOW DO I CONNECT MY OTHER ACCOUNTS / SYNCH WORKOUTS?
While our app focuses on putting the entire Greater Wichita YMCA world in the palm of your had and allowing you a better, more engaged experience - it is not a true "fitness tracker" app that will monitor movement, calorie burning, etc. in real time like other apps do. We proudly partner, through our app platform, with some leading fitness tracking apps that will allow you to send your data from our app to other platforms and vice versa. Some of our newer group exercise classes will also allow you to integrate your apps and fitness trackers in to the workout experience and to "share" with our exercise equipment, too. Use the "Explore" button below each icon to see what each app offers and how it might be right for your fitness tracking. If the app is not listed, we cannot - at this time - integrate with the app. But check back soon, we're growing our digital offerings with exciting news on the way.
- HOW DO I COMPLETE A FITNESS ASSESSMENT AND/OR GET HELP WITH PERSONAL TRAINING THROUGH THE APP?
Use the tile in the app to request a 1:1 fitness assessment or to be partnered with a qualified personal trainer to help you get more out of your gym visits. You can just provide name and phone number or, through our website, provide more information that we'll need to collect to get you the best match.
- HOW DO I ADD / UPDATE / TRACK MY ACTIVITIES IN THE GOAL CENTER?
The "Goal" tab is a great resource for setting and monitoring progress against fitness goals. Pick the right category and then choose a pre-populated goal or set your own manually. Need help? Ask any Fitness Staff on the floor and they can help you with setting and working toward goals.
- HOW DO I OPT IN/OUT OF THE ACTIVITY FEED? CAN I CUSTOMIZE MY FEED? CAN I REPORT CONCERNS?
The "Activity Feed" is controlled by your profile settings. Just navigate to the settings panel and click the "privacy" icon and either make your profile "public" or "private". You can also, in settings, upload a custom photo and modify other identifiers. Additional questions about privacy and app policies? Check out the full terms and conditions of app usage on our Policies Page.
- HOW DO I USE THE EXTRAS TAB?
The "Extras" tile is a collection of useful links to other digital/online resources for our members. You can typically find links to our website, to third-party platforms like our coaches/players app, and our other fitness partners. You should just tap on each option to visit their site/link.
- HOW DOES THE SOCIAL MEDIA TAB WORK? CAN I SHARE MY WORKOUTS DIRECTLY FROM THE APP?
Yes. If you log in to your social media accounts through the app (allow shared permissions) from the "Social Media Feed" tile - you can send out your workouts and share other app activities, too.
- HOW DO I USE THE SUPPORT AND FIX IT TILE? WHAT HAPPENS TO MY SUBMISSIONS? WILL I HEAR BACK?
The "Support and FixIt" tile is just that - a tool to help troubleshoot app needs or issues. You can review FAQ, find technical support, and get other information through the tile. You can also ask our staff for help with many issues.
- WHAT ARE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR YOUR APP / USE?
You can and should review the full terms and conditions for app usage on our policies page on our site and within the app.
- WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS REGARDING PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR PRIVACY WITHIN THE APP?
You can and should control your privacy preferences in the settings on the app and, for data privacy, review the full terms and conditions for app usage on our policies page on our site and within the app.
- HOW DO I PROVIDE APP FEEDBACK WITHOUT USING THE APP?
We're always open to suggestions for how to improve the member experience - especially as we develop digital support and options. Just talk with our staff and they can and will direct you to the right person for your idea or suggestion. You can also use our CONTACT US form and we'll get your thoughts to the right person/team for consideration. Thanks, in advance, for the ideas.
ANOTHER REASON Y
The Greater Wichita YMCA offers an app to empower fitness and hundreds of options to support a healthy spirit, mind, and body including: