You’re fun, fit and obviously love fitness. Want to take it to the next level and teach?
Start your journey by selecting one of our introductory classes taught by certified YMCA instructors. Classes meet once per week and prepare you for the written and practical examinations required for your fitness certification. For members only.
Contact email@example.com for more information or to enroll.
Helping members develop and reach their health and fitness goals is reward enough, but Group Exercise Instructors also receive -
- YMCA Membership Free single membership or discounted $25 family membership when teaching 2 classes per month.
- Kid Zone Instructor has free child care while teaching or as a member up to 2 ½ hours each day at
- YMCA Training Reimbursement Opportunity 8-week and 4-week trainings have a reimbursement option after 1 year of completing the training and teaching 80 hours in specific training
- Training Benefits
- Annual National Presenter Workshops The Greater Wichita YMCA brings in a Group Exercise National presenter each year so YMCA group exercise instructors will stay on the cutting edge of what is going on in the industry. This saves our staff $1000’s of dollars by not having to pay travel, lodging, food and high registration fees that normally go along with attending these type of workshops and CEC’s.
- YMCA USA Trainings and CEC Opportunities There is a minimal cost of $20 to the staff for each YMCA USA training attended. The YMCA absorbs the remaining of the enrollment fee so that staff will be able to attend these trainings at an affordable rate.
- CPR / AED First cost for these are $10 each. Afterwards, while employed with the YMCA, all recertifications will be at no cost to the employee.
- Other In-house Workshops On the Job Training and Education that is free to our Group Exercise Instructors.
- Getting Started
- Continue taking classes to gain experience.
- Contact the Group Exercise Coordinator at your favorite YMCA branch or Shalen Scheltgen, Metro Group Exercise Coordinator.
- Sign up for an 8-week/4-week training in your area of interest (see below)
- Group Exercise Trainings
- Group Exercise Certifications
After completing one of our Instructor Training courses, it’s time to make it official with a certification.
- Initial Group Exercise Certification - All instructors must complete both of these courses
- YMCA USA Healthy Lifestyle and Principles - This one time course gets you acquainted with the YMCA history and mission, and a basic fitness overview. It is taken by all fitness employees
- YMCA USA Foundations of Group Exercise - This nationally recognized class includes exercise science, leadership skills, teaching skills, and a practical session on exercise selection and execution.
- Certifications You Can Choose
- YMCA USA Cardio and Step Instructor
- YMCA USA Cycle Instructor
- YMCA USA Mat Pilates Instructor Silver Sneakers
- MSROM & Circuit
- Zumba & Aqua Zumba
- YMCA Water Fitness Instructor
- Silver Sneakers Silver Splash
- Arthritis Foundation Water Exercise
- In House Workshops - When you’re ready to take it to the next level, we offer free continued development to our Greater Wichita YMCA instructors.
- Muscle Pump Body Design
- Ultimate Strength and Cardio Y-Box
- Liquid Flex and Flow