Before and After School Care for K-5
When school is out, you can trust the Y to provide an engaging experience for children in their own school. The Greater Wichita YMCA’s KEY Academy allows children to deepen understanding of and relationships with their schoolmates through active play and collaboration on fun, engaging projects. The inclusion of a healthy breakfast in the morning, snack in the afternoon, and support for homework and learning ensure a well-rounded program.
Key Academy is owned and operated by the Greater Wichita YMCA as a school age program within the Child Care and Camp branch of the association. The KEY Academy program is licensed by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) and open to children, regardless of YMCA membership status.
Key Academy Content and Daily Activities
When participating in Greater Wichita YMCA KEY Academy programs, your children will think they are simply having fun, but you’ll have the peace of mind knowing they are not only expanding their minds and social skills but developing lifelong healthy habits. Enrolled Kindergartners through students age 12, will benefit from:
- Youth in enrolled in our AM sessions participate in 20-30 minutes of morning exercise from yoga to calisthenics they are moving, getting the body and mind active for a great start to the day. When they head to class they are energized and ready to learn.
- Afternoon session include 30-45 minutes of active play daily. Student participates in planned physical games and activities that teach team work and good sportsmanship. Weather permitting children spend time outdoors daily.
- All KEY Academy program sites participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program and include a healthy breakfast (AM) and snack (PM) in program enrollment fees.
- Daily opportunities for youth and adults to connect and “chat” are skillfully designed and planned to help kids develop self-awareness, self-management, social-awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.
- Chats are schedule in advance. Parents are encouraged to track themes and monthly calendars for insights on area of focus and monthly questions so they can continue the conversation at home.
- KEY Academy staff set aside 30 minutes, each Monday–Thursday afternoon for quiet activities and to support those with homework and assignment completion.
- Study time reinforces positive learning habits and can allow more family time each evening.
- This year’s “BIG IDEAS!” topics have been expanded to capture and keep kids’ interest. Students will spend four-to-eight weeks exploring each topic to allow more time for learning, and expanded, activity-based exploration including perspectives kids have maybe not yet discovered.
- In addition to weekly themed activities youth will explore science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM) lessons designed for all age groups, creative art projects, and character education that focuses on our four YMCA values; caring, respect, responsibility and honesty.
- Considered in every activity and interaction within Key Academy programs, day-to-day interactions and team building activities with peers and Y staff focus on growing positive relationships and skills to avoid, minimize the frequency.
- Each Key Academy staff offers a complete calendar – with all themes, activities, schedule changes, and information parents could want or need to stay informed. Parents can get copies of each site’s calendar from staff or by contacting the Greater Wichita YMCA Child Care and Camp administrative office
Themes and Big Ideas
Key Academy activities build on themes – or BIG IDEAS! – that are chosen to ensure all kids can participate and benefit from participation and to keep daily content new, fresh, and exciting. 2020-2021 academic year themes include:
LET'S MOVE IN SCHOOL
August 15th - September 26th (6 weeks)
Skillastic's character is cool kit has 26 activities. These are physical activities that go with each week's character development piece. There is then an enrichment piece later in the week.
September 26th - Dec 15th (11.25 Weeks)
From science themed art to STEM Skilltasktics and LEGO Engineering this session will be STEMtastic!
BE A GOOD SPORT
January 3rd - March 10th (10 Weeks)
Learn basic skills in multiple sports. Best of all, we learn how to be a good sport.
(Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, and Pickelball)
HEALTHY BODY, HEALTHY MIND
March 20th - April 30th (6 Weeks)
Use your body with our Skilltastic Fitness kit while also learning about health food options to promote healthy living and a healthy mind.
SPEED INTO SUMMER
May 1st - School Ends
Speed stacking and minute to win it activities!