ABOUT EARLY LEARNING CENTERS
Inside select Greater Wichita YMCA branch locations (see list below), Early Learning Centers (ELCs) foster a warm “extended” family atmosphere in which children feel secure, comfortable, and important.
Children (from six-weeks-old through the start of Kindergarten) are engaged in a mixture of education and recreational activities that holistically approach education, build confidence, and ensure future success. The Greater Wichita YMCA's Child Care and Camp branch runs ELC sites and believes:
- Parents are the first and most important teachers in a child’s life.
- Families benefit when parents and adults pursue work and personal responsibilities – which requires a safe, pleasant, and dependable place to entrust children.
- Development is patterned, but each child is unique – growing at their own pace and style.
- Children are innately curious. They constantly gather knowledge of the world through education and other experiences including play.
- Trust, respect, and emotional awareness of self, others, and nature are crucial elements for positive self-growth and productive in our increasingly complex society.
Our ELC programs provide affordable, high quality, child care service, designed to meet the needs of parents who are working and/or in school and our facilities and staff are fully licensed by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE).
WHY CHOOSE AN ELC FOR YOUR CHILD?
Full-day child care services—for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers—Monday through Friday (except major and traditional holidays) from 6:30AM-6PM throughout the year. ELCs offer:
- Full-time child care services, based on enrollment, at select Greater Wichita YMCA branch locations
- Nutritious breakfast, lunch, and snacks to participants each day
- Curriculum and assessments aligned with Kansas Early Learning Standards at all sites and Kansas State PreK Programs at East and South
- Opportunities to participate in Greater Wichita YMCA swimming, gymnastics, and dance programs (varies by location and availability)
- Financial support including income-based financial assistance for those who qualify and scholarships (through generous YMCA donors), Early Childhood Block Grant, United Way, and PreK funding for eligible families. DCF funding available
WHAT YOUR CHILD WILL GAIN THROUGH ELC PARTICIPATION
Our ELC sites are entirely staffed by licensed, trained, child care professionals that are dedicated to developing school-ready and life-ready children. When you choose an ELC for your child you can expect:
- Opportunities to sing, read, and talk in a language-rich environment
- Skill development in phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, print awareness, vocabulary and comprehension
- Critical, creative, child-sized problem solving through cause and effect
- Skill development in classification, patterns, one-to-one correspondence, order and sequence, and numeration
- Fine- and gross-motor skill development
- Balance, coordination, and control
SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Building trust and forming healthy attachments
- Developing impulse control and enhanced social interactions
APPROACHES TO LEARNING
- Demonstrating curiosity, persistence, attention and communication
ELC SITES AND CONTACT INFORMATION
ELC ENROLLMENT PROCESS
2019-2020 ELC Enrollment - including mandatory re-enrollment for current care recipients - begins Monday, July 8, 2019 and continues throughout the year.
- Review the ELC Program Overview brochure and Policies and Parent Information materials - available below, at any ELC/branch site, or upon request from our administrative office.
- Complete an ELC Enrollment Form and required KDHE paperwork (that must be completed online (link below)) and sign the policies and parental information agreement.
- Schedule an appointment and/or submit your materials IN PERSON at an ELC site or MAIL materials (as instructed in Overview Brochure) to our administrative offices.
- Do NOT try to enroll in ELC programs on our website or at any Greater Wichita YMCA branch location's front desk (even at ELC host sites). You must apply as stated above.
- Allow for up-to five business days for response from ELC leadership. You will be invited to discuss pricing, payment and enrollment options.
- ELC staff MUST confirm enrollment before children can enter the program, without exception.
- Enrollment is based on available space, child developmental readiness, licensing guidelines, and prioritization (as outlined above).
- Children with special needs will be accepted only if enrollment is in the best interest of the child.
- Costs for participation are based on classroom assignment. FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE is available, third-party payment is accepted. See "policies" document for more information.
- ALL required paperwork (enrollment form, KDHE paperwork and support documents, and signed policies/parental information agreement) must be submitted BEFORE any child will be considered for enrollment.
- CHILD CARE ACCOUNTS - EMAIL or PHONE (316.776.8842)
- Debbie Ogle (Senior Program Director) - EMAIL or PHONE (316.776.8242)
- Andrea Eliot (Branch Director) - EMAIL or PHONE (316.776.8241)
ADDITIONAL CHILD CARE PROGRAMS
In addition to ELCs inside Greater Wichita YMCA branches - we offer additional Child Care options for infants-through-fifth graders including:
MAKING HEALTHY CONNECTIONS
The Greater Wichita YMCA offers Child Care and hundreds of other ways for our community to share time together including: